Saturday, October 29, 2011

Generation 1.13


It was starting to feel like every other day was a birthday in this house, though I didn’t really mind. Birthdays were happy days, after all, and it also meant leftover cake in the fridge. That was always a good thing, in my opinion. Today we were celebrating a double-birthday. Honey Dew was becoming a teenager, and Saffron Spice was leaving his toddler days behind him. I would no longer have any babies in the house. It was a bittersweet realization on my part.

Honey was the first to her cake, looking happier than I’d seen her in a long time. She even styled her hair in preparation for her transition.



Lemon Tart and I were sure to cheer her on. Sunglow was, once again, at work and missed the party. He had recently become the team’s MVP, however, which meant more money and shorter work days, and one step closer to his life-time goal of becoming an athletic superstar.





Honey grew up even lovelier, if that was at all possible. She and Lemon sat down to begin enjoying the cake while I slipped into the nursery and got Saffron. It was now his turn to blow out the candles.



He turned out as handsome as I’d suspected. He was a little down that his dad missed out, but a big slice of cake went a long way to cheering him back up again.



Now that Saffron was old enough to do things on his own, I quickly realized what a little angel he was in a child’s body. He made up his own bed without me having to say anything.



He always washed his hands after using the bathroom.



And helped me around the house, cleaning the toilets, the sinks, the dishes, anything that happened to get dirty.



It was a big load off my shoulders, leaving me more time to tend the garden. I had several species bred to what I considered to be a perfect strain, but I still wanted to have a few more. Only then would I consider myself to have the ‘perfect garden.’



But as natural as the process was--and as silly as it made me--whenever I had to dispose of one of my plants I always cried. I hated losing one of my 'babies.'



I was caught a little off guard by my own birthday. I’d completely forgotten it. The kids were asleep and Sunglow was down in the basement working out, so I cheerily transitioned into a full-fledged adult alone in the kitchen.



I sat down afterward, to take everything in, I suppose. I didn’t feel very different, but glancing in the mirror I could see a few new lines on my face that hadn’t been there before. At that, I started to worry a little bit. Would Sunglow mind my new look?



I headed down into the basement to find out. I found him at the new weight bench, pumping iron. Looking as sexy as ever, which somehow only made me feel worse. He gave me a look after I’d descended the stairs, picking up on my melancholy.

“Something wrong, Nilla Bean?”



The sound of that nickname still brought a slight smile to my face even after all this time. “Nothing really,” I returned. “I just had my Adult birthday.”

His eyes widened. “Happy birthday! Aw, Vanilla, why didn’t you come get me? I would’ve cheered you on, love.”

“I know you would have,” I chuckled. “I kind’ve forgot myself, and I don’t know,” here I shrugged half-heartedly and glanced away. “Getting older and more wrinkly isn’t really a cause to celebrate all that much.”

I normally wasn’t one for pity-parties, but something had taken hold of me after my transition. Sunglow picked up on it immediately of course. The next thing I knew he was up from the weight bench with his arms wrapped around me, holding me close.

“I love you Vanilla Cream,” he pronounced firmly, tone almost stern, “and I’ll always love you, even when we’re both old and gray and so senile we can’t remember what we did two minutes ago let alone what we had for breakfast that morning. Don’t ever doubt that. Ever.”

I sagged a bit with relief, snuggling into his front. “You always know just what to say to make me feel better,” I murmured into his chest, sighing with contentment. At that he chuckled, rubbing my back.

“It’s a talent,” he mused playfully. We stayed that way for a long moment, and then, “you know, I was thinking. That new tree-house we had installed hasn’t really been tested. I think we should check it out first, make sure it’s safe for the kids.”

I leaned back in Sunglow’s arms, meeting his mischievous yellow eyes, and an answering grin slowly spread.

“I think that’s an excellent idea. We wouldn’t want the kids to get hurt.”





The days started flying by again after that, and the next thing I knew it was time for yet another birthday. It was time for Lemon Tart to join her sister in teen-hood. She stood at the cake, smiling at us as we cheered her on and generally made fools of ourselves. But that’s what birthdays are for, right?







She transitioned and became every bit as wonderful as I suspected. Like her sister, she was a wonderful blend of Sunglow and I, but with a flair of her own personality thrown in.



Both of my girls were now teenagers, each of them beautiful in their own little ways. So far Honey’s teenage years had been fairly uneventful, but with two of them in the house now, something told me that wouldn’t last much longer.



Sunglow was at work for the first part of the party, but luckily he would be getting off in time to still celebrate with us. Not only would he be celebrating Lemon’s birthday, however, but also the fact that he’d just been named the Superstar of the team. His lifetime wish had been fulfilled, and I couldn’t be happier or more proud.



Sunglow made it home just in time for cake with the girls.



They all sat down at the bar to dig in. I sat back, content to watch them, filled to the brim with love and dreams of what tomorrow might bring.



((Aaaaand another one bites the dust! One more chapter after this, and Gen 1 is officially completed! Woo! If you're thinking that Saffron grew up awfully fast, it's because he did. I logged off with him having like 5 days left as a toddler, and when I logged back in he had none. >.< Annoying glitch, but whatevs. Also, a little info nugget for you, that sim that’s behind Sunglow as he’s leaving work is my husband’s berry sim!self, Beige Mulberry. :D He also happens to be Sunglow's boss, lol, and consequently one of his BFs. ))

3 comments:

  1. YAY!! Generation completion! Who will continue the legacy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more chapter, and then Gen 2 is in charge. I'll give you a hint . . . per the DITFT rules, the next gen has to reach the top of the Business career . . . any of Vanilla's children strike you as a workaholic who wants the finer things in life? ^ ^;

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeeeeee!!! I can't wait! ^___^ I loved all the birthdays they were super awesome, and the girls are sooo damn pretty, I can't believe they are all grown up! *tear* Only one more you say? I can't wait Lynn!

    ReplyDelete