Saturday, October 15, 2011

Generation 1.8

Little Honey Dew had her daddy wrapped around her finger from the moment she was born. Sunglow loved that little girl to pieces.



I can’t say that I was any different, though. Honey was our beautiful miracle, and I was struck with the wonder of it every time I stared into her precious little face.



Time seemed to fly right on by, and before I knew what hit me it was time for my tiny bundle to transition into a precocious toddler. I held her in front of the cake we bought to mark the occasion.



While Sunglow blew on a noisemaker for all it was worth.



I blew out the single candle for Honey.



My baby girl became a toddler, showing off a head of her daddy’s lemon blonde curls to go along with my pale skin and gray eyes. I held her close, unable to help feeling a little sad. She was growing up so fast! A part of me wanted to keep her just like this forever.



That wasn’t to be, of course. Honey was growing every day, and things sure got busy after her birthday. Now on top of maintaining my garden, I had to help Honey learn all the skills she would need later in life. Potty training was a breeze, I have to say. Honey Dew was an angel with it. Though Sunglow says she’s too little to understand the difference, I really think she did her best to learn in order to keep from having to mess in her diaper. She hated to be dirty.



Honey Dew was quite the serious little toddler too. She would get so frustrated with herself when she couldn’t figure out the peg box.



I’d come rushing in to the nursery when I heard her crying, thinking she’d hurt herself, only to find her throwing an unholy tantrum because the triangle block wouldn’t go in the circle hole. I scooped her up and gave her a few tickles to distract her from it, and that seemed to work most days.



Sunglow spent as much time as he could with Honey Dew as well, in between work and training. He was usually the one that let her out of the crib in the morning, while I was already out in the garden.



Honey and I were close, but I wasn’t fooled. She was a complete and shameless daddy’s girl.



Those two were inseparable when Sunglow was home.



He was the one who started Honey on trying to walk.



Though I’m happy to say that I was privileged to see her very first steps.



Sunglow was also training super hard on the treadmill we’d managed to buy a few months ago. He was working as a Toddler Sports coach right now, but the scouts were looking for someone for the minor league team and Sunglow was determined to be the one they chose.



I took Honey Dew outside with me a few times while I worked in the garden, but it didn’t take me long to realize she didn’t like it much. She would cry and fuss, complaining that the sun was too hot, the grass was too itchy, or the bugs were bothering her. A part of me was a little heartbroken at this. Sunglow and I both loved to be outside, but it seemed our firstborn absolutely hated it.



I was in the shower one evening when Sunglow came home from work. He slipped inside, obviously excited about something. I turned to him, blinking the water and shampoo out of my eyes.

“What is it?”

“I did it!” he burst out, practically jumping up and down. “The scouts picked me! I’m on the team!”

I laughed with him then, overjoyed. I knew this was something he’d wanted his whole life, and I couldn’t be happier for him. “Sunglow, that’s wonderful!”



He grinned, basking in his moment for a little while longer, then suddenly the smile faded. It apparently dawned on him just then that I was naked in the shower, and a now-familiar heat suddenly lit up his eyes.

“I’m feeling a little grimy after today’s peewee game,” he suddenly growled, “think I could join you in there? I can wash your back for you.”

“Oh, you could, could you?” I teased, though seriously thinking it over. Honey Dew was down for a nap right now. With a new baby and Sunglow’s job, we hadn’t had much ‘alone time’ lately. Now was a good a time as any. I finally smirked in answer, and slid the shower door open. Sunglow was quick to strip and climb in with me.



It wasn’t long after our romp in the shower that I was suddenly feeling nauseous and light-headed again. Oh Berry, here we go again.



((Baby number 2 is on the way! Hope you enjoyed this installment, see ya tomorrow!))

1 comment: